#Attribution1 {display: none;} .header-inner h1, .header-inner p.description { display:none; }

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Cereal Cake


So there seems to be a trend to my recent posts...
TREATS!
I like to think that I am pretty health.
By healthy I mean I eat mainly fruits, vegetable, lean protein and whole grains. 
But... i love my treats.
I eat healthy so that I can eat treats. 
This doesn't have much logic behind it but I have justified it for myself.

The other day I was introduced to a friends mom as Chandler, the baker.
I was kind of embarrassed but.. if the shoe fits?
While I am definitely not a baker. nor would I prefer to be referred to as one,
I do enjoy baking and experimenting with new recipes.
It is a fun and yummy way to kill a couple of hours on a Saturday or Sunday 
while surprising family/friends with some sugary yumminess.

My husband is a health freak.
He mainly just hates sugar. 
He hates cookies, cake, candy, etc.
(basically all the good stuff)
However, he has a weak spot: Cereal.
He loves cereal and eats it for a meal/snack at least once a day.



While I know he actually loves treats 
and he is only trying to convince himself and others that he doesn't...
I still chose to support him on "treat-hatred" on his birthday.
It was a perfect compromise.
I made him a cereal cake!
Basically a couple layers of rice krispies; 
with some frosting in between to keep it all together and add some color.

Top Layer: Chocolate Lucky Charms
Middle Layer: French Toast Crunch (his favorite)
Bottom Layer: Cocoa Krispies

I stayed chocolate themed since those are his cereal go-to's.
Needless to say, it was a success and his whole family loved it.
Instead of a side of ice cream we opted for a side of milk for dipping.

I will definitely be making a cereal cake again.
Next time I will include my favorites:
Fruity Pebbles
Trix
Special K with Strawberries 

(Isn't Washington gorgeous?)

Recipe (per layer):
1/2 stick of butter
1 bag of mini marshmallows 
5 cups cereal

Frosting:
1 stick butter
3/4 bag powdered sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
dash salt

Instructions:
1. Melt butter on low heat
2. Add marshmallows and melt until combined with butter
3. Take mixture off heat and add cereal
4. Stir until well mixed
5. Press into cake tin
6. Let cool then stack in preferred order with icing in between layers

I made up the recipe and ingredients as I went so feel free to edit/add wherever!

No comments:

Post a Comment